Tax Advisory, Consulting and Litigation
- The Tax department, together with the Corporate Commercial and Finance Department, is the largest Department of the firm headed by arguably the best tax Expert in Uganda and the Region.
- The firm has established a credible and reliable tax practice and has been retained widely in Uganda by both private and semi-public entities, as well as the East African Community, the Republic of Liberia, Nigeria and Rwanda, and has had assignments in Zambia and United Kingdom.
This department is skilled in legal advisory consulting and litigation and has represented clientele in several sectors including corporate transaction (mergers, acquisitions and restructurings), Banking, Petroleum and Energy, Mining, Capital markets, Construction, among others.
The firm has an impressive resume in designing and drafting various tax codes and statutes, revenue generation mechanisms in various jurisdictions.
The range of services include;
- Corporation tax
- Withholding tax
- Tax exemptions
- Income tax; (including pay as you earn (P.A.Y.E) and property tax)
- Value Added Tax (VAT) registration and compliance audits
- Taxation of resident and non-resident persons/companies in Uganda
- Objections to tax assessments
- Tax structures and tax planning
- Tax audits and Filing of tax returns
- Customs and Excise duty
- Finance related services
- Staff training and recruitment
- VAT and Withholding Tax refunds
- Duty drawback
- Technical training in taxation and business management
- Input tax credit apportionments
- Taxation of employment terminal benefits
- Taxation under technical assistance agreements/programs
- Stamp duty
- Representation before the Tax Appeals Tribunal
- Double Taxation agreements and their tax implications
- Research into improved tax administration at local, national and international levels